What is personal information?
Information such as a name, a home address, an Internet Protocol (IP) address, a phone number, or an e-mail address is considered to be personal information because it can identify a specific person.
What do we collect?
We collect and maintain different types of personal information in respect of the individuals with whom we interact. This includes:
- contact and identification information such as your name, address, telephone number, and email address;
- personal information concerning the education, products, and other services that you seek from us or that we may provide to you; and
- business relationship information, including information related to your agreements, preferences, feedback, and information requested by or provided to you.
We may also collect information related to our media, donor, sponsorship, and public relations activities.
As a general rule, K2 and Perimeter collect personal information directly from you. In most circumstances where the personal information that we collect about you is held by a third party, we will obtain your permission before we seek out this information from such sources (such permission may be given directly by you, or implied from your actions).
From time to time, we may use third-party services and may also receive personal information collected by those third parties in the course of the performance of their services for us or otherwise. Where this is the case, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that such third parties have represented to us that they have the right to disclose your personal information to us.
Where permitted or required by applicable law or regulatory requirements, we may collect information about you without your knowledge or consent.
We may collect information related to your visit to our website. This information includes, for example, the IP address and domain used to access our website, the type and version of your browser, the website you came from to access our website, what country you are from, etc. We may use this information to monitor our website’s performance and for our other business purposes, such as customizing content that we think you might, improving our services, and upgrading our website.
In connection with the foregoing, we send a “cookie” to your browser that may be saved on your computer to track your visit. The cookie acts as an identification card and allows our website to identify you and to record your passwords and preferences. The cookie allows us to track your visits to better understand your use of our website so that we can tailor the website to better meet your needs. Most web browsers are set to enable cookies, unless you change your preferences to disable them. Disabling cookies may limit access to certain parts of our site.
In addition, we collect the personal information that you submit to our website, such as your name, address, and any other contact or other information that you choose to provide by:
- opening or clicking on hyperlinks contained in promotional emails, or corresponding with a representative of K2 or Perimeter via email using the hyperlinks created for that purpose;
- signing up for email alerts and newsletters;
- responding to surveys;
- signing up for downloading materials; and
- donating, buying tickets, or registering for events.
Our website may contain links to other websites that may be subject to less stringent privacy standards. We cannot assume any responsibility for the privacy practices, policies, or actions of those third parties. K2 and Perimeter are not responsible for how such third parties collect, use, or disclose your personal information. You should review the privacy policies of these websites before providing them with personal information.
K2 and Perimeter use Google Analytics’ third-party audience data such as age, gender, and interests to help us better understand your preferences and online activities. This helps us provide content targeted to your interests and preferences.
Why do we collect personal information?
K2 and Perimeter collect personal information to enable us to manage, maintain, and develop our operations, including, but not limited to:
- to establish, maintain, and manage our relationship with you so that we may provide you with, or receive from you, the services that have been requested;
- to review the services that we provide to you so that we may: (i) understand your requirements for our services; and (ii) work to improve our services;
- to review the products and services that we obtain from you so that we may work with you and so that you may understand our requirements for such products and services;
- to offer goods and services such as events, ticket purchases, and donation transaction processing;
- to comply with your requests;
- to protect K2 and Perimeter against error, fraud, theft, and damage to our goods and property;
- to endeavour to protect the safety of a person or group of persons (by, for example, potentially keeping a record of individuals who may not be welcome to attend our premises for security purposes);
- to comply with applicable laws or regulatory process; and
- any other reasonable purpose to which you consent.
- How do we use and disclose your personal information?
- We may use and disclose your personal information:
- as permitted or required by applicable laws or regulatory requirements;
- for any additional purposes for which we have obtained your consent to the use or disclosure of your personal information.
We may also use or disclose your personal information without your knowledge or consent where we are permitted or required by applicable law or regulatory requirements to do so.
When do we disclose your personal information?
We may share your personal information with our employees, contractors, consultants, affiliates, and other parties who require such information to assist us with managing our relationship with you, including: (i) third parties that provide services to us; (ii) third parties that assist K2 and Perimeter in the provision of services to you; and (iii) third parties whose services we use to conduct our business.
For example, we may share your personal information from time to time with our third-party information technology, data processing, and payment processing service providers so that we may operate our business. As a result, your personal information may be collected, used, processed, stored, or disclosed in the United States and the European Union. As such, your personal information may potentially be accessible to law enforcement and national security authorities of that jurisdiction.
Finally, your personal information may be disclosed:
- as permitted or required by applicable law or regulatory requirements;
- to comply with valid legal processes such as search warrants, subpoenas or court orders;
- as part of K2 and Perimeter’s regular reporting activities to its affiliates;
- to protect the rights and property of K2 and Perimeter;
- during emergency situations or where necessary to protect the safety of a person or group of persons; and with your consent.
Once any collected data is no longer in use, it will be disposed of according to industry best practices.
Your consent is important to us
It is important to us that we collect, use, or disclose your personal information where we have your consent to do so. Depending on the sensitivity of the personal information, your consent may be implied, deemed (using an opt-out mechanism), or express. Express consent can be given orally, electronically, or in writing. Implied consent is consent that can reasonably be inferred from your action or inaction.
As we have described above, we may collect, use, or disclose your personal information without your knowledge or consent where we are permitted or required to do so by applicable law or regulatory requirements.
You may change or withdraw your consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual obligations and reasonable notice. All communications with respect to such withdrawal or variation of consent should be addressed, in writing, using the contact information set out below. In certain circumstances, the withdrawal of your consent may render us unable to continue to provide services where the collection, use, or disclosure of your personal information is necessary to provide the service.
How is your personal information protected?
K2 and Perimeter endeavour to maintain physical, technical, and procedural safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity of the personal information in question. These safeguards are designed to prevent your personal information from loss and unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal, or destruction. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee complete security: for example, (i) unauthorized access, use, or disclosure, (ii) hardware or software failure, and (iii) other events may compromise the security of your personal information at any time.
The security of your personal information is important to us. Please advise us immediately of any incident involving the loss of or unauthorized access to or disclosure of personal information that is in our custody or control.
Updating your personal information
It is important that the information contained in our records is both accurate and current. If your personal information changes during the course of our relationship, please inform the Privacy Officer of such changes.
In some circumstances, we may not agree with your request to change your personal information and will instead append an alternative text to the record in question.
Access to your personal information
You can ask to see your personal information. If you want to review, verify or correct your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer. Please note that any such communication must be in writing.
When requesting access to your personal information, please note that we may request specific information from you to enable us to confirm your identity and right to access, as well as to search for, and provide you with, the personal information that we hold about you. We may charge you a fee to access your personal information; however, we will advise you of any fee in advance. If you require assistance in preparing your request, please contact our Privacy Officer.
Your right to access the personal information that we hold about you is not absolute. There are instances where applicable law or regulatory requirements allow or require us to refuse to provide some or all of the personal information that we hold about you. In addition, the personal information may have been destroyed, erased, or made anonymous in accordance with our record retention obligations and practices. In the event that we cannot provide you with access to your personal information, we will endeavour to inform you why, subject to any legal or regulatory restrictions.
Inquiries or concerns?
Senior Director, Finance and Operations
Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics
31 Caroline Street North
Waterloo, ON N2L 2Y5
880 Apollo Street, Suite 239
El Segundo, CA 90245